Personal information includes information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether that information is true or not, and whether it is recorded in a material form or not. It includes sensitive information such as health information and information about your race or ethnic origin.
In the course of dealing with customers, suppliers, job applicants and service providers, Fonterra collects personal information.
Fonterra may collect personal information from you when you:
- request or make an inquiry about our products or services;
- make a complaint about our products or services, or request and receive a refund;
- respond to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- otherwise contact us, either online through our website, by email, mail, phone or in person;
- access or use any of our website services;
- take part in product market testing or trials;
- enter into an agreement to supply or purchase products or services to us; or
- apply for a job with us.
Fonterra may at times need to collect your personal information from third parties rather than directly from you, including but not limited to when:
- third parties are engaged to provide marketing or promotional services to Fonterra; and
- you have applied for a job of a certain nature and we require you to take a medical assessment, or we need to conduct a police check and/or a drivers licence check.
The personal information that Fonterra may collect about you includes but not is limited to:
- your name and contact details including address, email address and phone number;
- your date of birth;
- your credit card and/or banking details;
- details of the product or service you have purchased or supplied;
- information which you provide us in response to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- records of our communications with you, including any complaints, requests, claims, or after-sales service issues or queries; and
- information such as your employment history and qualifications provided by you and third parties as part of your job application.
Fonterra may also collect sensitive information (including health information) about you in circumstances where you make a complaint about the physical effect of a Fonterra product including if, for example, you have taken part in the testing or trial of a Fonterra product.
Where practical and lawful, you can deal with us anonymously or using a pseudonym, if you wish. However in many instances, if we cannot identify you or if you do not provide us with the personal information we request, then we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, respond to your inquiries or complaints, or assess your job application.
In order to assist with the performance of our website, cookies may be installed on your computer. Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owner of the website.
Most cookies we use on our website collect information about how visitors use the website, for example, which pages visitors go to most often. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor. All information collected by these cookies is aggregated and is therefore used anonymously.
Most internet browsers give you the option to reject all cookies, accept all cookies, erase cookies stored on your computer or be notified before a cookie is stored on your computer. However, if you reject or erase the cookies referred to above some our website features or services will not function properly or may not be fully available. Please refer to your internet browser instructions if you want to find out more about rejecting or erasing cookies.
Fonterra uses and discloses the personal information it collects for the purposes of carrying out its business as a manufacturer and distributor of dairy and related products, including but not limited to:
- to enable us to communicate with you in the future about our current or new products or services, including for marketing and promotional purposes;
- analysing market data for the purposes of developing new products and services;
- providing the product or service requested or answering an inquiry;
- addressing complaints or processing refunds in relation to a product or service;
- as part of the asset or share sale of a business or division of Fonterra;
- assessing your job application;
- complying with our legal obligations including for purposes required or authorised by an Australian law or court/tribunal order; and
- technical administration of our website(s).
- third parties who have been retained by Fonterra to help it provide its products or services. For example, Fonterra has contracts with third parties to assist it with functions such as mail-outs or assessing applications for the provision of commercial credit by a Fonterra group company; and
- related entities within Fonterra (principally located in New Zealand).
We may need to disclose your personal information to third parties, some of which may be located overseas, including but not limited to:
If Fonterra contacts you for the purposes of direct marketing (for example, to promote our current and new products and services), and you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us in the future, you may opt-out at any time at no cost to you. To opt-out, please contact the Privacy Officer via email at Privacy.firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1800 816 773. You may also ask us to stop using and disclosing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Fonterra takes reasonable steps to protect personal information it holds from misuse, interference and loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Fonterra will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify any personal information which it holds when it is no longer required for any purposes for which it was collected or for which it may be legitimately used or disclosed.
You are entitled to access the personal information which Fonterra holds about you subject to certain exceptions set out in the Privacy Act. Access requests should be made to the contact details below. We will need to verify your identity before giving access.
Fonterra will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information it collects, holds, uses or discloses about a person is accurate, complete and up to date, and relevant for any purpose for which it is used or disclosed. You may ask us to update or correct your personal information if you believe it is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. We will also need to verify your identity before making any corrections.
If Fonterra refuses your request for access or correction we will notify you in writing and explain why and the manner in which you may make a complaint, if you wish.
If you believe that Fonterra has not dealt with your personal information in a manner that complies with the Privacy Act, please contact Fonterra to discuss your concerns and consider how Fonterra can better deal with your information. All complaints will be handled in a timely fashion and treated seriously. Complaints, should be put in writing to the Privacy Officer at the contact details below.
Fonterra Privacy Officer
327 Ferntree Gully Road
Mount Waverley VIC 3149
Telephone: 1800 816 773
Date: 1 July 2015
The Brands we manufacture and sell, including:
Mainland, Anlene, Anchor, Bega, Western Star, Calci-Yum, Perfect Italiano, SKI, Tamar Valley and Riverina Fresh.
Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd
Fonterra Brands (Australia) Pty Ltd
Dairy Fresh Pty Ltd
Australasian Food Holdings Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 009 163 268 Pty Ltd
Murrumbidgee Dairy Products Pty Ltd
Mainland Dairies Pty Ltd
Dairylands Pty Ltd
Bonland Cheese Trading Pty Ltd
Mainland Foodservice Pty Ltd
Fonterra Investments PTY Ltd
A.C.N. 009 235 492 Pty Ltd
Bonlac Finance Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 113 345 430 Pty Ltd
Bonlac Staff Retirement Pty Ltd
Unilac Australia Pty Ltd
NZ Milk (Australasian) Holdings Limited
New Zealand Milk (Australasia) Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 606 428 639 Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 111 834 489 Pty Ltd
Fonterra Ingredients Australia Pty Ltd
Australasian Food Holdings Pty Ltd
Fonterra Farming ventures (Australia) Pty Ltd
Fonterra Milk Australia Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 008 668 602 Pty Ltd
United Milk Tasmania Ltd
Darnum Park Pty Ltd